Faulty Electronic Ciagrette Blows Up in Florida Man's Mouth Severely Injuring Him

02/17/2012

A few days ago, a Pensicola man was injured when an electronic cigarette exploded in his mouth.  The man suffered severe burns to his face and lost several teeth and a chunk of his tongue as a result.  Early reports indicate a defective battery is to blame for the explosion but the brand of battery or cigarette is not yet known, or at least the information has not yet been released to the public.  I can only assume once the information is known the manufacturers will be sued for the injuries their defective product caused

Not only did the defective cigarette or battery nearly blow a man’s face off, the explosion caught his home on fire.   When it exploded pieces shot out from the cigarette and landed around his office, some pieces hot enough to melt carpet.  Firefighters immediately came to put out the fire.  Investigators are now trying to identify the type of cigarette and battery and are searching for other fires or explosions that might have been caused by electronic cigarettes.

Thomas Kiklas, co-founder of the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association, said the industry knows of no problems with the cigarettes or batteries exploding.  The electronic cigarette industry reports that approximately 2.5 Americans used electronic cigarettes last year.  Most people use the product to try to stop smoking because they believe the device releases less nicotine than regular cigarettes. Nicotine is released from them in a water vapor, which is released with battery power when the cigarette is puffed. 

Most people see electronic cigarettes as a way to kick the habit and some simply use the product as a “healthier” way to smoke. Some say there is no proof that the devices actually help people stop smoking or that they are safe, or safer than regular cigarettes.  Also, some tests have revealed chemicals such as antifreeze in the vapor put out by the cigarettes. They are currently unregulated by the FDA but the FDA posted a warning saying they were addictive, contained nicotine and might encourage teenagers to use nicotine products.  After this incident, the FDA now might consider the regulation of this product. 

Fortunately, the man injured by the defective product is recovering in an Alabama hospital.